Friday, September 12, 2014

Roller coaster ride.

I heard her loud and clear… time for a blog entry. It has been a long time. My only excuse is busyness.

It is September 12, my boat has not moved since camping in mid-July. Have not gone fishing all spring or summer. I have heard rumors that Mille Lac (lake) is still there. I hope I can confirm that once this fall. My Banker said he would invite me for a day of Muskie fishing with him yet this fall too. My fingers are crossed.

So what has been happening? 

I have been dealing with some of the best challenges I have ever had and some of the worst. I’m still trying to decide if this is the time to hire again. I have someone in mind, I think I would like to bring on, but the time needs to be right. Is the time ever right? It takes faith to know, and I think as I mentioned it last time, maybe we just do it.

I have never had so much trouble getting all my bids out in a reasonable time. Everyone is so busy right now; my subs have a hard time getting my prices back to me. My salespeople at various vendors seem to be taking much more time in getting back to me with pricing and answers on things, and in turn customers have to wait longer then usual. On one hand that’s a good thing, on the other, it does cause some stress.

The Artist made a comment last night something to the effect of “ man, do you ever ride a roller coaster every week!” Yeah, I guess I do. Everything from getting work done, getting the work in, watching my crew but not too close, trying to let them spread their wings all the while making sure quality and production stays up. Giving the attention to all customers and jobs we are currently working on that they deserve. Stress runs high and stress runs low in this business. Every day can bring its challenges, some good, some not so good, but with every bit of wisdom I can muster, they seem to work out.

Something non-work related is the season changing. It is my favorite season. Cool Friday night high school football games watching a nephew, lots of fires back in the fire pit, two camping weekends in October. One with all the Olson guys, our Men’s Camping Weekend, and one with the Artist and the Snack Manager, back to our favorite place, Lake Chippewa. Wild horses couldn’t keep me from either.

Have I ever told you what a “Conciflab” is?


~The Carpenter

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for commenting! There will be a delay before your comment posts.