Sunday, July 20, 2014

Vacation over.

We are home…yep another vacation is in the past. Always too fast and way too short. We have been going to the Lake Chippewa Campground for about 11 years now. It is on lake Chippewa which is part of the Chippewa Flowage about 15 miles east of Hayward Wisconsin. 

As is the normal, we go like crazy before to get all of our ducks in a row with customers, and projects. It is a hectic week before we leave, but the time always comes when we are on our way looking forward to six glorious days with no plans or agenda. For the most part my phone was out of sight. I did however have to make a couple of calls, but that was it.

The week brought a couple of surprises.

It did not get out of the 70’s
The lake was cold
The boat needed a minor fix

None of that mattered. I did a whole lot of nothing. I sat, talked, ate, and slept. I hardly even fished, so little in fact we didn't have our annual fish fry.

Vacation is all that you make it. If you wait for outside forces to make your vacation, it will probably break your vacation. And when you camp, you have to take what nature gives you. It could have rained every day, but we would have survived just fine.

My only real disappointment is we never saw any bears. For the last several years there have been bears roaming the campground at night. We have had a bear actually in our campsite two different years. Yes I know they can be dangerous, but they are so cool see. You just have to use common sense and give them their space.

My family has camped ever since I was very very young. The men and boys in my family will be going on a long weekend later this year. We call it Men’s Camping Weekend. I think we came to an agreement that last year was our 50th year. My dad started with my older brother and I, and it continued to grow with my younger brothers, my uncles, and my cousins. It continued to grow with my nephews and my cousins’ kids. We are now about 20 strong and as of yet, have never missed a year. I love it.

I am coming back rested and ready to go again, however I am thinking 2 weeks next year!

~The Carpenter



the Carpenter did a little project while on vacation. The three rock ensemble is our wagon train rig! ~ the Artist




No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for commenting! There will be a delay before your comment posts.