Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Wet paint and seeds.

I've set a goal for the end of this month for the first "A Painted Apple" sale. That is probably a bit unrealistic. But I have to set a difficult deadline to keep focused. And keep me accountable since I'm putting it out there. I'm painting two hours a day. That is about two pieces of small furniture with not quite two coats or one larger piece with two coats. I've found that any longer then that I start to get sloppy and my hand gets tired. …


I've got a weak right hand/wrist from years on a computer. Who would have thought that would become an occupational hazard! I started out as a "keyliner" artist. I sat at a drawing table and my main tools were a triangle, technical pen and a T Square (an attached ruler that I could move up and down on the glass surface of the table), which was used to sit the triangle against to draw straight lines. All to create materials that were the first pre-press stage for printed brochures, catalogs, journals etc. It was my pre-computer days. My Macbook Pro does everything the big drawing table and all my "keyliner" tools did now!

I learned yesterday that even if the humidity is good, the light is bright.. it's not a good idea to paint outside under a spring tree that is shedding seeds and leaves on a very windy day. It wasn't pretty. And I could not move into the shop because the furniture was wet. Dumb.

So today which is "a beyond glorious day".. I will use common sense and work in the shop. By the window with the door open. Two hours. Will finish one last coat on a chair and head on to another piece. After painting and adding some details I will finish with a paste wax or polyurethane to finish.

I have found that the latex with the "Plaster of Paris" dries fast. Like acrylic. I had to work fast. Brush fast. And that causes drips. So it is hard to work fast but you must work fast. The paint thickens and clumps too as it sits in the pot. You also can't mix a lot of paint at a time, you have to guess how much you need. I either mix too little or too much. This adventure has a learning curve. I hope I pass the test!

Next week I'm taking a painting class at "The Painted Table" http://www.paintedtable.net with my sister-in-law, my husband's cousin and a good friend. I hope to come away with some good tips. I've got to up my game on this deal.

I do have an idea for a decorative detail for the furniture other then just distressing. I want to shine out from the pack of chalk paint furniture artists. If it works I will share in a future post.

I don't have photos from yesterday. It wasn't a good day and I don't think you'd want to see a sheet blown up and attached to a table stuck with seeds. Why am I doing this? Because I have a ton of furniture I need to paint and sell and because ultimately I don't quit or back down from a challenge. Here's to a good paint session today!

~ the Artist

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for commenting! There will be a delay before your comment posts.