Saturday, May 31, 2014

Lessons learned.

I'm writing about these past two days. Preparing, purchasing, painting for our newest adventure… "A Painted Apple". It's been three steps forward, two steps back! Very typical for me as I like to just jump right in without a lot of forethought. …


Yesterday I started by completely rethinking and picking a new color palette. A palette is a group of colors that go well together. Once I felt satisfied with my new beautiful palette, I headed to Home Depot to buy quart size cans of the lovely hues.

I don't have much experience with paint departments. (The Carpenter has been chief paint procurer) Put me near a printing press and ink and I'm in my element! Anyway I walked up to the paint counter with a bit of trepidation. Then I saw standing behind the counter a girl I have observed working in another local business. She always looks unhappy and kind of mean actually. I wouldn't want to mess with her. Well here she was waiting on me. This wasn't going to be good. I explained what I needed.. and at the end I repeated… quart not gallon, flat- no primer. She said… "I know" with a scowl on her face. I slunk away as quick as I could before she threw a punch.

After a good 30 minutes I walked back to the paint department. No more mean girl, in fact no one was around. So I waited and waited. Finally another girl arrived. "Do you need help?" she asked in a quite disdainful tone. I said I was waiting for some paint to be mixed. She found the paint- handed it to me. I asked for my slip of paper back where I had carefully written down all the paint names and numbers so I could verify they were all accounted for.

Well what do you think happened? Yep. One of the cans was mixed wrong. Now I have to say that I never ever complain in a public setting. I never send food back, I always smile and am as gracious as can be with clerks and waitresses. But I said to myself.. "okay.. she screwed up your order. Get yourself back there and get it fixed". So I did. And do you think the second "happy" clerk apologized for the wait or the error? No. 

That was yesterday. Today I decided to adjust the color for the first chair that I painted the lovely electric blue. I thought I was being so clever and added a dark navy blue (I found in the basement) to the electric blue. I didn't notice it was a "latex satin exterior enamel". I told you I am a paint rookie! I was going to throw out what I mixed but decided to add more "Plaster of Paris" and see how it dries.

It doesn't help that its very humid out, it's been raining and is dark and the lighting is very poor in the shop. So while I was remixing the paint… the Carpenter had to head back to Home Depot to replace burnt out lights on his nifty 3 power light fixture so I can see what I''m doing!

I'm headed out to the shop right now to see how the second coat on the chair faired. 
Fingers crossed. Lessons learned. Tomorrow is a new day.

~ the Artist

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for commenting! There will be a delay before your comment posts.