Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Monkeys in the Rafters

Ok, here we go… into the first un-official week of summer. If today is a pre-curser of what is to come…. drywall mudding on one project, shingle delivery on another project, a junk run to the dump, looked at another potential project, met with fireplace salesperson, met with lumber sales person, a window delivery is in, some decking is in, worked on two bids, looked at my office (chills), got to the Y for a work out, and finished cutting the grass. It’s now 11pm and I promised the Artist a blog entry. 

If you have been reading this blog for awhile, you have seen me write about how I need to balance on the job work and administrating the work. Last week was an eye opener for me. Tyler was on a family vacation in the BWCA (Boundary Waters Canoe Area... what??? no fish????) and I had to fill in and help Adam finish the framing and roof tie-in on the Cobbler Court project.

One thing came through clearer then ever. My injuries over the years have really caught up with me. Both my shoulders don’t work right, and my knees do not get better with time. With those limitations, I don’t want to keep up with the young guys anymore. It’s a job now for them. I need them to be what I have always called the "monkeys in the rafters"– climbing the walls, walking the plates, dragging the trusses, and building the rafters. All the stuff I have LOVED over the years.

I may ("will" says the Artist) decide to give up on the most physical work, but I can still orchestrate it, I can still administrate it. 

My customers have always relied on the fact that they know I will be there. They don’t want to sign the contract and then never see me again. I take that very seriously. Just this week, I had a customer give me a hug and thank me for treating their home, as if it was mine and thank me for how respectful my guys are in their home. That is huge to me.

As the Artist and I continue on with this business, things may ("will" says the Artist) be changing soon. We may be hiring again, and maybe again. We will be assessing all our projects, what the needs are for those projects, and how we best take care of those projects and customers.

One thing will never change and that is how we roll. Whether I am the rafter monkey, or my guys are, we will always treat your home as if it were my home. As the saying goes, the spirit is willing……I won't repeat the rest! I can still hang on to something right?


~ The Carpenter

Photo source: http://www.travelblog.org/Photos/3621624

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for commenting! There will be a delay before your comment posts.