Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Try not to drip.

Emergency calls to my sister and cousin who paint furniture using the "Chalk Paint" technique last eve. Neither were home. I couldn't drop by their homes either as it would be a two day trip to PA. They are a wealth of information, inspiration and experience. I feel so far away from them. I'm slogging through this alone. ALONE. All by myself with a bunch of dusty old furniture just sitting there leering at me. "Ha you can't make me pretty no matter what you do. We like being old and ugly. We aim to stay this way". …


I've gotten exactly 3 pieces painted. One chair, the very first piece I painted turned out nice. I was neat. No drips. It went downhill from there. As I got more overwhelmed and anxious my technique spiraled the wrong direction.  

I did end up connecting with my extraordinarily busy sister this am. I asked her for 5 minutes, just 5 minutes was all that I needed to be talked off the ledge. She told me to calm down, have some fun with it. Don't take it too seriously. She said that I should just think of painting something just for me, to please me. She also suggested I grab a glass of wine or eat a big piece of chocolate cake and get in the groove. My sister suggested I drink some wine. My Baptist sister. gulp. Is this an anxiety intervention?

It made me think.. when I head to the class next week at "The Painted Table" they said there would be snacks… hmmm.. maybe wine will be served? Maybe wine is the component I've been missing? Maybe that is WHY chalk painting furniture is all the rage right now. Oh my gosh! I think I'm on to something. I've cracked the code of the secret society of chalk painters. 

Well my sister did assure me that chalk paint is very forgiving and that with a little sand paper I can fix the drips and edges. But that truly I must work on not dripping. I'm headed out to the shop right now to take photos of the ugly lovelies to send to my sister for some ideas from her on color suggestions for each piece. Because that is part of my problem too. Indecision. I never used to be this way. Well maybe a little.

I am a perfectionist. I am a graphic designer, I've worked in pastel, water color and acrylic. I've mixed more paint for illustrations and mock-ups (back in the day before computers) to have earned the nickname years ago… "color queen". I guess I just need to grab that glass of wine and loosen up. Well maybe a slice of cake too.

~ the Artist

PS I realize that by sharing this chalk paint journey with you… that you might not want to come to my first "A Painted Apple" sale! Who would want to buy my… well I promise that when the sale happens.. my ugly lovelies will be on their best behavior. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for commenting! There will be a delay before your comment posts.