Monday, February 17, 2014

the Farm.

We visited a farm yesterday. 

Now this probably doesn't sound like something very exciting to do on a wintry Sunday afternoon for many.. but for me, it was profound. yes. profound. And being that I can't think of a single regurgitated decorating idea to write about or make you suffer through one more "it's been a horribly long winter" lament... I'm going to share our journey to the farm. …


As we drove through the blinding white countryside.. suburban homes gave way to farms. Many farms. Beautifully kept farms. I was shocked. The sun glinted off shining grain towers– surreal looking against the stark winter landscape. As we got closer I would point my finger and say… "maybe that's the one!" With each mile I got increasingly excited inside... you see a farm girl lives deep inside this New Jersey Minnesota girl. Below is on my desktop...



Every time I step into a library– yes I still go to those old fashioned places of paper– I search for farm books. Specifically stories about women who prevail on farms.. who overcome obstacles and hardships, who persevere. What is the attraction? I grew up in Suburbia. I owned rabbits, guinea pigs, turtles, goldfish, a parrot and a few dogs. No cows or horses. I have no idea.

I've romanticized farms. In fact when we walked through the freezing cold barn.. I heard strange noises overhead. I thought.. I hear someone talking upstairs. The "voices" were pigeons. Yup.. suburban girl. I wasn't expecting to be a bit apprehensive or uncomfortable. I've never been in a real barn before… especially one that is still open to the wind and the birds. It had its own voice and smell. 

This wonderful farm though is being restored and loved after many many years of neglect. It is owned by a lovely woman who is overcoming the obstacles. She has a dream for her farm. I literally walked into one of my farm books! It was surreal. It was heady. I drank the experience. 

The Carpenter fell hard for two horses who live there. We can't even remember what kind of horses they were. They were gentle giants with pale "old soul" eyes. When we arrived we were greeted by an exuberant group of dogs who bounded around us with such joy. They were so free. We rather felt sorry for our dear Gracie who has lived a tied down suburban life. We laughed at a cat who would look in at us through the kitchen window. He would raise up slowly, peer in at us then slowly lower his head down.. up and down... over and over. He would chase after us as we walked around the farm like he had dog fur. 

We left full of "farm" that we don't get to experience in our suburban life. It was a nice break from routine on a Sunday afternoon. It made us appreciate broad open winter scapes, the pursuit of dreams and the farms that feed us. We won't soon forget it. 

~ the Artist












old foundation

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the post, Artist! It brought me back to my days in Louisiana. We had a barn and a couple of horses. Sadly, was too busy being a crazy teenager at the time and my sister did all the riding. These days I would love to have a barn and a horse or two. Giddy-up!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for commenting! There will be a delay before your comment posts.