Monday, February 24, 2014

A whole new light.

I've always wanted a window in my front door.
We've got a ridiculously narrow dark foyer. It would visually open the space. A windowed Craftsman front door would update our 90's Cape. Yes!

But I don't do it. I don't like the idea of someone looking in at me. We don't have close neighbors and every time the doorbell rings I peek out a window. I'd hate to get caught sneaking away. And somehow when I'm home alone.. a door with a window doesn't feel very secure to me. So for now I'm living with a dark foyer. …


I did however recently see an idea on HGTV that intrigued me. They took a six panel fiberglass door and put a large full view window in it. Cut the space out and popped it in! Well I didn't actually see it go in. I almost don't believe it!

So I decided to do some research and for starters found this blog post. It is really just an amusing read (click on the link) I will get to the facts here.. hang with me. http://thriftydecorchick.blogspot.com/2012/04/glass-doorcould-you-do-it.html

Well after some research and discussing with the Carpenter…  I probably wouldn't recommend this. Ultimately it messes with the structure and integrity of the door. It might work for an inside door or a door in a more moderate climate. If you have the funds it would be better to just buy a door with window. And really.. there are so many lovely door/window designs out there. 

I recommended in a client color consult (Color Me Happy) http://applewoodremodelers.com/services/ putting in a half window front door and adding roman shades. See the first photo below. I think that's a wonderful way to handle privacy issues. I love the sidelights painted the same color as the shakes in the second photo. And the eclectic use of the many window sizes in photo number three.


























Another clever idea I saw recently was adding a base trim detail two inches or so above existing base trim and painting the base, the space between the trims white or whatever color works for you. This gives the optical illusion of a wide base! You can see below how if done right can work!

~ The Artist


No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for commenting! There will be a delay before your comment posts.