Friday, October 18, 2013

One thing that that bothers me most in this business…..


We are on a job right now that is at the point of having appliances delivered. They came on time and it was set up for them to do the install of a very large refrigerator and a double wall oven. (Both of them very expensive, not your usual GE or whirlpool types)

Good thing my guys were there. As they, the professionals were bringing in the appliances, and not paying attention, it sounds like my guys prevented them from causing damage to our ceilings, maybe walls, and maybe the cabinets. ...
A few weeks ago, same appliance company, different job, they had to replace another wall oven that they put a chip in, and as I understood when told about it, they at first tried to suggest someone else did it.

I can’t stand passing the buck, or irresponsibility. Sometimes I have seen it in sub-contractors of mine…or should I say former subs. They don’t last long with me.

I impress on my guys all the time to own it, good and bad. You try to hide it or excuse it; it does not go far with me. You own up to your mistakes, make no excuses, and learn from mistakes, you will go far.

My new guy had a case in point just last week. Something happened that he could have easily acted as if he didn’t know about it. Instead, he called me over, admitted his mistake and wondered what could be done. Yes, he felt bad, and I think he thought he would be in trouble. Am I ever happy when things go wrong, no, but I would be far less happy if he would have tried to hide it. I know he learned from it and it probably won't happen again.

If it would have gone another way, and he didn’t own his mistake, and he would have tried to hide it, that could have very well meant his job. I only wish those so called professionals from the appliance company would have just a little bit of that integrity. Way to go Tyler!

~The “Proud of his team” Carpenter

Photo not actual oven installed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for commenting! There will be a delay before your comment posts.