Friday, September 13, 2013

move.

a couple of days ago I broke through a huge procrastination wall. The Carpenter and I have been collecting furniture for the past year for a little division of Applewood we're calling "A Painted Apple". 

Said furniture has been sitting in a dusty pile out in the cabinet shop. I have stopped going to garage sales, but the Carpenter still brings a little treasure home now and then. I had decided... I can't bring in anything else till I start painting! ...

I've had "start furniture" on my list every single day for weeks. The words loomed over me like I am standing at the base of a massive mountain looking up at it's frosty peaks, feeling totally inadequate to climb. "Mount Furniture". I didn't know what to do first.... I was overwhelmed with even where to start. So dirty, so dusty.. and broken. ... and the Carpenter refused to make a space for me in the shop till I "showed" I was actually going to start. I faced commencing in a very inhospitable, no room to work, uncreative environment of dust, disorganization, dirt, debris, sawdust, and ugly mean looking machines with sharp teeth.  

I had to stop and say to myself... get out there.. do something. just start. move. I picked up a chair and vacuumed the dust off. Then another chair and another. Then as I cleaned I sorted and organized into piles- repair, ready to paint. As I cleaned my mind started clicking. Problem solving... research feet to add to the nightstand, take photos of the real antiques to access value, look up what's involved in creating a fun mini-bar. 

Last night I told the Carpenter what I did. He's promised to tackle cleaning and organizing the shop this weekend. ;) I requested my own corner with one free table, good lighting and floor space. I told him I can't work the way he can work. It's the same principle when I cook. I have to clean the kitchen up before I can start the next meal. I just need to start clean. Then I can get messy from there. 

Wish me luck.
I will keep you "posted". ;)
~ the Artist

PS Part of my delay in starting has been thinking through how to make my painted furniture unique in the crowded world of second act furniture. It's all the rage right now. Well, today it came to me. Brilliant. Or at least I think so! Okay now. I'm ready.


No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for commenting! There will be a delay before your comment posts.