Thursday, February 5, 2015

Embracing old.

We attended the Carpenter's childhood church's final service last weekend. It is shutting its doors. Going the way of so many small churches. 

I spent some time walking around and just looking at all the rooms and areas that I remembered from years ago. We had our wedding reception at this church. The Carpenter's Grandmother Pearl was a charter member. The Carpenter's parents were married there. I've attended bridal showers and funerals there. Memories. …


We were told that the land that this church rests on is more valuable then the building. To me that means it is going to be knocked down and another office or strip mall will take its place. It doesn't help that it's in need of major repairs. Sad.

I've always thought it was a pretty church and if properly loved could have been a beauty. It's architecture hints of New England and my east coast roots. It has wonderful "bones and huge potential for a second act.

A friend just told me about her church building that was given to the church. It has a brand new life and now has three weekend services! My first choice would be for the building to be bought or given to a small growing church. But if that wasn't possible... keep the building and enhance the architecture to current market standards. Embrace it! Value it. 

I grew up in a house of antiques. My parents even had an antique store in the 60's called the Stone Jug. It was in a concrete one room school house! I hated antiques. I slept in an antique rope bed with this nasty chamber pot on the floor near by. How I hated that. (we did have in door plumbing) I wanted new, new, new! I wanted all matching white painted furniture and a bed that didn't sag in the middle.

I have grown up. I'm appreciating "old" for the first time. Maybe because I'm closer to old then young. I know one reason is because of Nicole Curtis of HGTV's Rehab Addict. Watching her shows has given me a whole new appreciation for old.

I will post some photos here from my walk around. I was shocked at the good condition of the sanctuary. The beautiful wood pews, the sweeping cathedral wood ceiling, the light fixtures which are back in style! The simple but lovely stain glass window. Just lovely.

I just had to write about this. Who knows.. maybe.

~ the Artist






















No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for commenting! There will be a delay before your comment posts.