Wednesday, January 21, 2015

We rocked it!

Last weekend I put together another volunteer work day to help one of my organizing clients paint the interior of her home. After I set the day up I start getting feelings of misgiving. Everyone is so busy.. who has the time to do this? Why do I keep doing this? …


Well three women came forward.. my fly-girl sister-in-law (who helps me organize when her flight schedule allows), and two good friends. And the Carpenter showed up to convert a small bedroom closet to storage by adding shelving which was much needed in the small older home.

One of my friends ended up having to cancel which then I realized.. getting two coats of paint on ceilings and walls of the living room and dining rooms... was going to be no small feat. I truly didn't want to walk out the door at the end of the day leaving my client feeling like we were leaving her with a big mess and a job unfinished.

Well we rocked it! We got two coats of paint on the the textured ceilings- difficult in itself- and one coat on the rest of the walls. One of my friends diligently cleaned millwork in the living room that needed some love. The Carpenter was amazed at our energy and ambition as we tackled all aspects of the project. My fly-girl sister-in-law always says… "Girl Power". Yep. 

I became the "paint fairy" and between holding a brush or roller myself- I ran around getting everyone clean rags, and kept paint trays and trim buckets full to keep us moving. I stirred paint, and stood in the basement for what felt like hours cleaning brushes and cleaning up our mess at the end of the day. And you know what?! It was so fun! I am realizing more and more that I love helping bring beauty to a home. I love seeing chaos turn to order. I love creating calm peaceful spaces. It totally energizes me. I'm starting to think that maybe I should make this official. Create a website. Get the word out. 

I'm thinking of that mountain of old furniture in the cabinet shop that I have not been able to get myself to paint. Now why is that? Not my passion? (well I am going to get it painted and have a sale in May to at least get that mountain out of the Carpenter's space!) Yes.. I am thinking about all of this.

And at the end of the day… volunteering makes you feel good. It takes your mind off yourself and your life circumstances. It gives God an opportunity to use your skills to help someone he loves who needs some help. There is nothing more gratifying or less narcissistic. Now that is a very good thing in this "selfie" world we live in. Instead of pointing our phone at our own face.. point our face at someone else's face and help them. You won't regret it.

~ the Artist


We used historical colors for this older home: (photos are not actual rooms we painted. Just an example of the paint colors)

Living room-  Waterbury Cream- Benjamin Moore  HC-31- to set off the clients love of Arizona and her pottery collection.  

Photo source:  http://beauxrevesamore.blogspot.com/2012/01/companys-coming.html



Dining room-  Revere Pewter- Benjamin Moore HC-172- to set the backdrop for a framed gallery of the clients son's art. 

Photo source:  http://www.thecreativityexchange.com/2014/02/color-spotlight-benjamin-moore-revere-pewter-paint-it-monday.html











No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for commenting! There will be a delay before your comment posts.