Wednesday, June 25, 2014

A new life.

I was on a walk today with Gracie in downtown White Bear Lake. I decided to take a route I haven't been on in awhile. We came upon this house being totally renovated. I've always noticed that it has looked "unloved" so I was happy to see someone restoring it. Well I'm not sure it's being restored in the purist sense. But considering how it has sat looking unhappy and lifeless, whatever they are doing will be a huge improvement. …


I just stood there staring at it. They have stripped it down to a weird metallic covering on the siding, a material I've never seen before and the front porch has been totally gutted. They are adding some sort of addition off the back. And all new windows. The lot this house sits on is quite large and can handle the extra footage.

I noticed they've added a small peaked roof on the back of the second floor. Will be interesting to see how they tie the original home into the new addition. I'm thinking it will be done gracefully by the looks of the remodel.

I get excited when I see houses being improved. We had the same opportunity a few years back just down the road from this house. It was exhilarating to experience. We won't be doing a total tear down renovation again though. Too risky without a buyer! 

We also totally gutted our present home and that was quite the experience. We won't be heading down that road again either… the Carpenter doesn't have any more weekend total guts left in him! And I've learned to be content with what I have. My only dream is to have a screened porch added to our home and if we win the lottery perhaps expand my gallery kitchen. But really that is a far distant dream.

I'm going to keep looking for interesting architectural things that I see on my daily walks to share with you this summer. White Bear Lake has a long history and quite diverse architectural home styles. I will also share the progress on this home from my view from the street!

~ the Artist


No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for commenting! There will be a delay before your comment posts.