Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Then. Now.

In the past the Carpenter and I have been interested in "Flipping" unloved homes. In the mid 2000's we ended up taking a different path with an opportunity to build three custom spec homes. The market was screaming hot. We built on the cusp of the housing market crash. It was like catching a good wave and riding to the shore strong. It was exhilarating, scary. Two of the homes we built on empty land. The third we tore down an old cabin, saving only the basement– the only salvageable part of the house. And in hindsight… I wish we would have approached the cabin from a different perspective. Who knows the outcome. …


Well post crash I said... "Never. Again." 

Something has happened to me. I find myself looking at small unloved homes as I walk by with the Snack Manager.. evaluating, planning what we would do, how to restore and get back on the market fast. We learned a ton from the cabin project. But I've learned a ton more in the past few months from watching as many flipping shows as I can catch. I've learned to see the potential in every home and staying within a budget. To salvage wood and fixtures, to buy supplies from sources I would never have considered in the past. I've learned that a pile of miscellaneous lumber can make a sweet little fence. That a collection of pulled out windows can be reused, glass replaced. Floors sanded, light fixtures painted, used cabinets reconfigured. I've seen the reason for moving fast. But working smart. And still doing the job right, without busting the budget.

I'm feeling a new excitement and desire to restore homes. Old homes. Small homes. Dollar homes. And with my design eye and the Carpenter's broad experience, we could easily dip our toes back in the "Flipping" pond. The market is warm, who thought that would ever happen again in our life time? Or that I would be the one to change my perspective.

And this renewed interest falls hand in hand with my love of organizing and bringing beauty to homes. So where do I go with this renewed interest? I've talked to the Carpenter and he's agreed to start looking for the right person to partner with us in this endeavor. So if you know of anyone who would like to work with a Carpenter and Artist please send them our way. And in the meantime.. I will keep learning and if it is meant to be.. we will be adopting a sweet little unloved home to rescue.. and then another and another. I'm laying the fleece out there. You just never know.

Oh and thank you Nicole Curtis for helping me to see the value of the materials that are already there. Priceless.

~ the Artist






No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for commenting! There will be a delay before your comment posts.