Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Modern farmhouse.

If I could build another home.. I used to think I'd build a craftsman bungalow. Now I'd build a modern farmhouse. I'm seriously into farm these days. Maybe some day my new home in heaven will be a little farmhouse. I'd like that.

A modern farmhouse has strong clean lines. Feels immortal sitting on its portion of ground. If architecturally done right… there's no mistaking its farm roots. Steep pitched roof, tin, wood siding. …


Farmhouses used to be mostly white and very plain. Well there is still an element of plainness. But todays farmhouses have openness to them. More and larger windows, expansive porches and broad angles and strong color. And still some are cleanly white.

One significant difference between the farmhouse of the past and now...outside materials have been brought inside. Rough wood walls, corrugated tin and field stone are being used to add texture to white spaces. Barn doors that roll a space closed. Traditionally exterior light fixtures hung snugly within.

Some modern farmhouses have been enhanced with craftsman or prairie style architectural elements added to their exteriors. This is the most significant change to the traditional farmhouse. exciting.

Modern farmhouses feel free to me. Uncluttered (hopefully), expansive, eclectic, serene. I could just step out the door into a wide open pasture… feel the sun on my face, hear birdsong and smell a soft farmie breeze. Yes a romanticized view of a true farmhouse is a modern farmhouse.

We all need a little romance.
~the Artist



A barn door separates kitchen from main hallway

A field stone wall behind a contemporary vanity. Unexpected light fixtures

Barn door into master bath



Wide open to landscape



Prairie style farmhouse
Photo source: Houzz.com search "modern farmhouse"

Photo source: Marvin.com




No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for commenting! There will be a delay before your comment posts.