Thursday, November 7, 2013

Carpet trending

I received a call recently from a customer seeking my opinion on frieze carpet. I told her my carpet experience somewhat limited. We've built three spec homes (custom homes built prior to being sold) in the last decade and that is pretty much where my carpet knowledge hails from. I do fortunately have some experience of durability for frieze as we put that in our last spec home on the entire second floor. ...

If you don't know what frieze is.. it's basically a short shag with a twisted pile. We chose a soft cream with just a hint of cinnamon. We lived in the last spec home to stage it, so got first hand experience. It was heavenly to walk on, looked rich and didn't show high traffic wear. We walked on it for a year and it looked as fresh on the day we sold the house as the day it went in.. thank goodness! Totally hid any dog hair too which was a big plus. Initially it shed quite a bit (the carpet not the dog).. especially that first vacuum. But overall I loved it and wish we had it now.

The other type of carpet we put in the spec homes was a very short textured one tone plush with a subtle design. One was an off white geometric, another a soft gold with subtle dots. The different size of the piles created the design. I loved these carpets the most. We used them in the livingrooms only. In one case... wall to wall to define the livingroom from the rest of the wood floors in the home. And in another home we had the soft gold hemmed and used as an area rug. 

To bring myself up to date with current carpet trends I found the below links. If you are in the market for carpet.. these are worth taking a look at. One link I followed led me to a whole selection of beautiful carpet photos via Pinterest. From all I've seen.. carpet has come a long way! Personally I'd stay away from Berber and simple plush. I'd go tone on tone stripped or geometric or for textured comfort.. a thick lush frieze for a bedroom. 

~ the Artist








































Photo Source: houzz.com
Head to applewoodremodelers.com, click on the Pinterest icon. Will take you to Applewood's pins. Click on the Carpet Board to access these photos directly for information.

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for commenting! There will be a delay before your comment posts.