Monday, October 14, 2013

Disconnect to re-connect.


The Droid is back on :(

Yep, just had four glorious days of being out of cell phone range to spend some time with the Artist doing what we like best….nothing at all. Camping by what has become our favorite place to go, Lake Chippewa.

Now I was somewhat connected. Email we could get through the camps wifi system. Yes a campground with wifi! Can you believe it? But it was nice to turn the volume on the phone off.  Saw this quote recently... "Disconnect to re-connect". Wise. ...


I never thought that in this business we would become so dependent on technology. Most of it does fascinate me, but the more I find we need to use it, the more I find I don’t want to. For me, it’s like doing something with no problem at all in doing it, until someone tells me I have to do it. Then I put up a fight. I know, silly. Been that way all my life.

Now don’t get me wrong. I know we would be lost without it in this day and age. It’s just so nice to be able to shut it down once and awhile.

This weekend brought to me some good rest. Nothing like reading a fine book, facing a beautiful lake and watching five bald eagles soar above you. And listening to them talk is amazing in itself! Camp fires too.. do wonders for your soul. You can't beat the memories when you hear sounds and breathe smells that bring you back to your childhood. ... Waking up to the sound of a lone fisherman in his aluminum boat- with outboard motor-putting along until he feels he is far enough away from camp to open it up a little.. his cigarette smoke trailing behind mixed with the exhaust of his boat motor…..MmmmMmmm, makes me smile and takes me back to our family camping vacations. Oh simple joy.

Yes the Droid is back on, we are all wired up and connected to the world again ready to hit it face on. But knowing that we were able to rest and get away is something I do not take for granted. We have been fortunate to be able to do that over the years and are already looking forward to May, the lake, the eagles and yes exhaust and cigarette smoke. Do get disconnected some time and breathe it in!

~ The Carpenter. 


photo source: Pinterest

1 comment:

  1. MARK, YOU AND ANDREA REALLY DESERVED A BREAK, A VERY NICE WRITE UP. YOUR FAMILY
    REALLY ENJOYED CAMPING WHEN YOU WERE A YOUNG KID.
    I CHECK OUT YOUR BLOG EVERY DAY.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for commenting! There will be a delay before your comment posts.