Wednesday, November 21, 2012

christmas welcome!

I've been thinking about how I'm going to decorate outside for Christmas this year- kind of late I know! I'm not much into big light displays or cute figurines. Probably because growing up on the east coast the windows of our home were always illuminated by candles- pretty simple. I never thought about why we did this or why this is still so prevalent on the east coast so I did a little investigating....


"The tradition of placing a candle in the window goes back to the Colonial times in the United States and back much further in time for other cultures. It symbolizes the warmth and security of the family hearth and signals loyalty to family members and loved ones who are not present in the home. In Ireland during times of religious persecution, the window candle signaled the location of religious servicesIn Colonial America a candle in the window was used to honor dignitaries, announce births and just plain celebrate."



I've continued the window candle tradition here in the midwest. It is an easy way to decorate.. no standing outside in the freezing cold wrestling with lights. I've used many different colors from red, green, white and blue depending on where I'm living and what my color scheme is for a season. Window candles remind me of my childhood, and I'm horribly sentimental about them. Currently I live in a house that needs 20 candles! Kind of overwhelming. 

I've got pedestal urns on either side of my front door. I will fill them with mixed greens and  add some touches of blue and burnt orange (silk and dried flowers) to match my navy blue shutters and burnt pumpkin front door. I will add a fresh evergreen wreath with silver accents and a big blue bow and maybe a strand of lights around the door. I might spotlight the door this year too. And I have white adirondak chairs on my front porch which I keep decorated with pillows that match my house color scheme all year round.

Even if you aren't into decorating or don't have the time, focus just on your front entrance area. It's the first area of your home that greets your guests and says Welcome! And it doesn't take much to add a touch of "Welcome". A basket of greens and pinecones, garland with lights around your door frame, or a bountiful full wreath that makes a statement. Or try a grouping of items by the door- lanterns, baskets, even a chair. Sometimes.. most times simplicity makes more of an impact than a huge display. 

I will post photos of how my front entrance turns out!

~ the Artist







~ Photos are from my Pinterest Boards- Holidays or Front Doors- which you can access through http://carpenterandtheartist.blogspot.com



No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for commenting! There will be a delay before your comment posts.