Tuesday, May 13, 2014

The Art of Backing Up.

maybe I should call this blog… my view from here. I'm more a spectator most times because I do not build stuff from wood. I'm usually behind a camera or a computer or paint swatch book. Fine with me. …


This morning I observed something. I watched our Lead Carpenter direct the Carpenter in backing up a truck to a trailer hitch. Adam stood directly between the truck and the trailer (seemed kind of dangerous to me) and with the ease of a traffic cop or a flight crewman on the tarmac… effortlessly, casually directed the truck directly into the hitch. He didn't swing his arms or yell.. "to the right.. stop!… no move up an inch". He ever so slightly raised his arm and pointed with one finger or a thumb which was seen through a very dirty topper window. One shot, hitched!

The Carpenter did not have to raise his voice…"Where are you? I can't see you!". I could have hit that wall!" Please get in my line of vision!".  "Get over here… now I will tell you again.. you have to listen, you have to stand where I can see you!". It isn't pretty. And now that I've observed the correct way to direct I realize I'm really a very bad director. I mean… I'm just a little too casual. I get distracted easily. I could at the wrong moment spy a very exotic bird flying over head. I guess I'm lucky I haven't been backed over.

I've observed other women at campgrounds in the same role. The camper pulls up. The woman (yes I've only observed women doing this to see if they were any better then me) jumps out of the truck. She casually strolls to the back of the camper to "direct" it into the spot. I've never seen a woman direct with the same casual confident style that our Lead has. Not that I'm making excuses. I just think I'm in good company.

Well all I can say is I'm going to work on my director technique. Maybe take a couple of lessons from Adam too. It couldn't hurt. 

~ the Artist

Photo: http://maggiemakesitbetter.com/2012/09/03/stehekin/

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for commenting! There will be a delay before your comment posts.