Monday, October 28, 2013

Random thoughts

Sometimes I sit down to write a post and I feel totally blank. What on earth could be interesting to read? Today feels like one of those days. So I'm going to write some random thoughts that are occupying my mind these days for Applewood....

1. Employees. We have brought on a great apprentice who is learning the construction trade while working for us. Meeting Tyler was totally unexpected. Actually within five minutes of praying for help.. the Carpenter met him. Kind of a God thing actually! And we're still looking for an experienced carpenter to round out the crew. A man of integrity– who is talented, friendly, and takes direction well. A good fit for the team and a good fit for future homeowners. It is very important to have excellent people who our customers would be happy to have in their homes during very stressful remodeling projects!

2. Marketing. Since the inception of our new website, Facebook and advertising.. we're getting opportunities to bid on projects. It is exciting to see my marketing efforts come to fruition. I've always worked where the results seen were quite large scale- million piece direct mail program, growing mega church... I never really knew how much of my contributions to increase growth actually made a difference as many other hands were involved. Writers, marketers, graphic designers, etc. Now it's just me. I'm doing all the writing, posting, uploading, birthing "brilliant" ideas. Just me. So I know that what is happening is in a large part due to my actions and decisions. The challenge is daunting, exciting, scary and exhilarating. And my goal? Get the talent of Applewood out there. Get known. Whatever it takes. Hooray for me. I will take my bow. Now back to work as in our fickle consumerism society... we have to continually get known.

3. Efficiency. Very important to me. My next challenge. I've started making inroads into the Applewood mountain of paper and process. But really all I've managed to do is cut a small trail up the mountain. We've started an Applewood weekly meeting to pause and gather our thoughts for the following week. It gives the Carpenter an opportunity to walk through each day of the week in his mind– to prioritize, plan and organize five days of "time." That has been a good thing for both of us. I've worked for two large organizations– one minimal meetings, the other a gluttony of meetings. Meetings do have their place.. and in our case... no meetings to a weekly meeting has been hugely beneficial. This is a good start. 

4. Burden bearer. What can I do to help lift the burden of a seriously overworked carpenter? Take on most of the administrative work. I can do this. I just need to be shown. So I'm waiting. You see the Carpenter is so busy he doesn't have time to show me. But I'm patient. It's gonna happen. I never thought I would get the website up and going.. it looked pretty dismal there for awhile because I could not decide who we were. But it did happen. And it was worth the wait. So I will keep occupied while sitting in the "waiting room".. maybe ruffle through the pages of a good home design mag.

5. Blog post ideas. Any ideas you think would be interesting for us to write about.. please comment below! In the meantime.. I will keep on keeping on.

~ the Artist

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for commenting! There will be a delay before your comment posts.