Thursday, September 5, 2013

chicken homes...

chicken coops that is. Raising chickens in urban backyards is in. Having a supply of your very own organic eggs is much sought after. This past spring the Carpenter drew up plans for my cousin's chicken coop. She needed a second one for her ever expanding brood. He spent one Sunday afternoon drawing based on photos/specs she sent that would be easy to build. ...

Nesting boxes, a pole for chicken perching... well the second coop never was built. The chicken police made a call to her home and that was the end of the chickens. They did find a nice new home though that wasn't a dinner plate.

Chicken coops remind me of little playhouses, just with some specific requirements. (I always wanted a playhouse growing up- one time I was invited to paint a neighbor kids playhouse. I put on painting clothes, raced up the hill on my bike... to find out they wouldn't let me near the playhouse. crushed. already a little designer back then!) The possibilities are limitless on the design and layout of coops too.

I've thought about getting some chickens but I know they would tie us down even more then our dog does. And we live on the edge of a marsh and open land area. I saw a large coyote run through our yard during the day a couple of weeks ago. And then there's the eagles and hawks. The Carpenter said... "I don't think chickens around here would last too long.. about as long as the bunnies last." sad. So I don't think this will be happening for us. But we could make it happen for you! And below are some great examples of some esthetically unique coops. One is even made from a dresser! love. 

So just bring us your ideas, photos, specs and we will build you a beautiful coop. And who knows... maybe all the wonderful food you will make from those gorgeous eggs.. will keep you out of the dog house.

oh yeah.. dog houses. Will save that for another post!
~ the Artist











No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for commenting! There will be a delay before your comment posts.