Thursday, September 26, 2013

Baseboard trims

I finished up some staining/varnishing of some simple base shoe trim for the laundry room at the Craftsman project today. It made me think about base "shoe".. why is it called that? Well I googled and got no where. Why call a piece of finish trim a "shoe" unless it means... a finishing accessory for baseboard trim- like putting on a pair of shoes to complete an outfit? By definition though... it is used to fill potential gaps between an uneven floor and the base wall trim. ...

I found some great examples of baseboard trim styles on Houzz.com. http://www.houzz.com/baseboard/p/112 I created another Applewood Pinterest board called "Baseboard trims" http://www.pinterest.com/colorqueen8/boards/ which you might want to check out.

Yes... thinking about baseboard trim styles seems kind of picky and not very important. But if you are remodeling or building new it's one of the decisions you will need to make based on your budget and tastes. I had no idea there were so many options out there. Good thing we're not remodeling our home right now...

Here are some of the more striking examples. You can see more at the Houzz.com link above.
~ the Artist




















Photo source: Houzz.com

PS. last eve the Carpenter read my latest blog post... "Baseboard trims." He sat there and laughed... he said... "I have to start reviewing your posts before you post!" I referred to "base shoe" as "shoe base." I said well I'd like to see how you guys would handle all the terms in the graphic design world! He did say that, base shoe is really like the base trim wearing a shoe! 







No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for commenting! There will be a delay before your comment posts.