Thursday, August 29, 2013

the "frosting on the trim"

today I helped out on one of our projects. Filled nail holes in stained woodwork. (I also stained, sanded and varnished this same woodwork prior to this step.) All except for the doors. I haven't graduated to that level of expertise yet. Crawling around the floor checking and rechecking to make sure I found all of the tiny holes in basically a monochromatic environment... I started thinking about perfection. Is it possible? Surely I will miss even one tiny hole! (and nestled in that hole is the nail that was used to attach the trim to the wall). Just in case you didn't know!




I am a perfectionist. I like details. (though as I get older I keep perfection in perspective and just do my best). So I'm a good person for this job. And I believe in doing a job right.  Now I am not always perfect. I can get sloppy if I'm not interested in the task at hand. Very frustrating to the Carpenter! Thankfully I like filling nail holes. There's something rather zen about it. And I can think about other things while I am filling and wiping. My friend called nail hole filling... the "frosting on the trim!"

Well I love cakes so this analogy makes me smile.
So here's to the lowly job of nail hole filling. 
Maybe I will bake a cake today. 

~ the Artist

Here's the receipe for this Caramel Apple Cake!
http://passthesushi.com/caramel-apple-cake-2/


No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for commenting! There will be a delay before your comment posts.