Thursday, August 15, 2013

a gift of home


I just had my bible study over last night. It was a peaceful night. We shared an eclectic mix of goodies to nibble on as we discussed our most recent read. I had the windows open... birdsong, a red squirrel chattering and even the distant sound of a neighbor's chain saw (yes... I like the sound of a chain saw.. reminds me of fall) wafted in mingling with the scent of garlic (good guacamole) to surround our conversation. I felt embraced in a warm hug of friendship and contentment. ...


Inevitably I end up receiving a compliment about my home. Now for those of you who have never been here... my home is not "young" anymore.. the total gut/remodel we did is now 15 years old. We have neither the time (well the Carpenter is short on that) or the money to do a major update– kitchen remodel, new flooring, carpet. I started thinking about why my guests are always so comfortable and relaxed and tell me so. I believe it comes down to a formula that I have used for entertaining. The reason I want to share it is to show that you don't need the most updated, perfect home with gleaming counter tops or Brazilian cherry floors to create a relaxed enjoyable time for your guests. Please understand I am not bragging here.. this just works for me. 

1. I de-clutter. I don't do any cleaning other then last minute dog hair vacuuming, make sure the bathrooms are presentable, and clean off the kitchen counters. 

2. I light a scented candle (a homey food scent like baked apple pie ;) near the front door so that when guests arrive.. the first thing they smell is not my "fragrant" dog!

3. I turn on lights strategically. Even if it's daylight.. just to give the room a sparkle. Also soft lighting camouflages old cabinets, tired carpeting and those pesky wrinkles! ;)

4. I plug into Pandora for some jazzy background music. I equate jazz with high end restaurants and relaxing times.

5. I greet each guest as they enter.. sometimes with a hug!

6. If it's strictly a family deal my dog is allowed to hang with us.. but otherwise she gets to greet and then retire to a quiet spot.

7. I strive but not always successfully to be present with my guests.. that means.. leave the dirty dishes in the sink! 

8. When my guests leave... I walk them to the door. I turn on all the outside lights- front porch, driveway so they feel safe and comfortable exiting my home. I do not turn the lights off till they are out of sight of my home.

Your home can be a gift of peace and relaxation for a few hours, no matter how old or out of style it is! 

Just light that candle. 
~ the Artist

1 comment:

  1. This latest post about your home is so true. Everything you said is real. Every time I come to your house I feel very welcomed and relaxed.

    Thanks for the perfect blog!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for commenting! There will be a delay before your comment posts.