Tuesday, December 11, 2012

cheap Christmas

I'm keeping Christmas simple this year. And cheap. So far so good. 

Tree. I picked up a free 5' artificial tree from someone's yard in July. Gracie our lab took it in stride as I shoved and sweated and pushed (boy I was determined) that tree in next to her crate in the car. I think she's become accustom to my creative impulses! I placed it in a large pot, filled with dirt-to increase height and stability, and decorated it in a nature theme. The tree will wear "something new" this year... created a paper flower garland and dear eggshell ornaments with a friend last week. My big splurge- a string of "sugared pinecones" which I must say really are beautiful lit or unlit.

Wreath. Was at Aldi last week. At checkout they had the freshest undecorated wreaths ...
 for $6.99! How could I resist?! My sister-in-law always has a fresh greens party. You bring the container.. she supplies the greens and decorations. I brought ribbon I got on sale at Michaels, and a box of plastic silver and blue ornaments from Target that I already had. Perfect. For a really great price (she did give me a deep discount) I walked out with a beautiful wreath! And after Christmas I'm going to remove the balls and ribbon, add some natural elements and put out in my garden for the rest of the winter.

Window candles. I decided to take inventory of all the bulbs I've collected over the years and came up with enough to do most of my windows- they're wearing white this year! No fun though checking all those old bulbs that have been rattling around in a bag... if they are ready to "blow" it can be kind of unnerving.  

Front door urns. We trimmed our spruces and crab apple tree this fall. I saved a pile. 

Bambi. Another yard grab a few years back. I replaced the old lights originally and just this year are replacing again. Two strands of 100 with white wire. Bambi hangs out in my shade garden by the front door. It's a bit labor intensive replacing the lights but well worth it. The hard part is finding a string of lights with white wire. I finally found a set at Menards... they are extra special- chase, twinkle- Bambi will be doing a gig this year!













~ the Artist






No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for commenting! There will be a delay before your comment posts.