Thursday, October 18, 2012

for the record...


... don’t do what I did last week.

I have a customer who was digging out some bushes in front of a window we are replacing.

In my “ I will rescue you” tone of voice, I told them…"Hey save your back, I will pull them out with the Dodge." There’s nothing a Dodge diesel won’t do. (You chevy and ford guys keep quiet now)

So I pull up to the “little” bush…they are like icebergs, 10% above ground, 90% below….how hard could it be??? ...

I wrap my chain around this thing knowing it doesn’t have a chance. Get behind the wheel, put it in 4 low and start to back up. Hmm, this “little” bush has some strength to it. I goose the gas a little more, nothing. Ok “little” bush, you’re coming out. I pull pretty hard and SNAP! The chain broke. Couldn’t believe it.

As I start to hook up again, I realize that is not all that broke. I notice strange steel bearing type parts on the blacktop, as I look closer I see it. I blew the u-joint that drives the front wheel, completely apart and cracked the axel! Arrrggghhh!

Like I said, there is nothing a little bush can’t do!

Be careful with what you pull!

~The Carpenter

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for commenting! There will be a delay before your comment posts.